If you’ve been thinking about expanding your digital footprint and not sure just how to begin, you will want to listen to my interview with Barb Smith, web designer and social media consultant, specializing in small businesses like yours. Her services include helping clients navigate the daunting task of web content management, WordPress web development, newsletter publishing, company branding, and social media. Barb splits her time between Rio Verde, AZ and Key Largo, FL. She enjoys hiking, scuba diving and nature photography. Please visit her website at barbsmithdesign.com for more info.
You’re looking at a sample of Barb’s work right now – she’s my web designer and social media consultant and I recommend her every time I get the chance.
Here’s Barb’s Checklist for Creating Your Digital Presence:
[Checklist for Creating Your Digital Presence 135kb]
What is my purpose for having a digital presence?
- Before you begin, know where you want to go.
- Create a roadmap and mission statement for growing your digital presence.
- Start small and grow when it feels right.
What should I do first?
- If you are new to all this, start with a simple 3 page website that has a home page, an about me page, and a contact page.
- I suggest starting with a free WordPress.com site. There is a wonderful community of people and tutorials centered on the WordPress platform.
- Consider starting a blog. A blog is a series of articles that are written over a period of time. The backbone of Margie’s website is her blog on learningtogo.info. This is where she engages with her audience in a personal and informative way.
- Once your website is up and running, create social media accounts that match your website’s branding (e.g., LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube Channel, etc.).
Who is my audience?
- Identify who your audience is and write content that speaks to them directly.
- Remember, engagement is the key for using your digital presence as a powerful communication tool.
How do I find my “voice” and what should I talk about?
- Your “voice” should be consistent across all your media channels (e.g., your website, blog, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube Channel, podcasts, newsletter, etc.)
- Think of your digital presence as your voice in an ongoing two-way conversation with your audience.
- Find your niche and talk about what you have a passion for.
- Talk to your audience, not at them. One of the best ways to do this is through a blog.
- Let your personality shine through!
How can I learn how to do all this?
- Use your digital learning skills and Google it!
- Leverage the web through searches, tutorials, video courses, and industry-related blogs. Learn from other subject matter experts who are happy to share their expertise with the digital universe.
Should I hire someone to do it all for me?
- If you don’t have the time, financial resources, or desire to take this on by yourself, you can hire an experienced web developer who specializes in creating a digital presence.
- Or… you may already know someone in your circle (e.g., family member or geeky friend) who can help you get started!
Good luck and enjoy creating your own digital presence!